Heat your loved ones with this lemon-zested hen fricassee with biscuits.
- eight skinless, boneless hen thighs (about 1 3/four kilos), quartered
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 can hen broth (14.5 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Season the hen with salt and pepper. In a big, ovenproof skillet, warmth 2 tablespoons shortening over medium-high warmth. Add the hen and cook dinner, stirring, till browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and cook dinner, stirring, till softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and cook dinner, stirring, for two minutes. Add the broth and produce to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Stir within the peas and carrots, lemon peel and lemon juice.
In a bowl, mix the remaining 2 cups flour, the baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Utilizing your fingertips, rub the remaining shortening into the dry components. Stir in 1 cup buttermilk to kind a dough. Switch to a floured floor and roll out to 1/2-inch thick. Utilizing a 3-inch cookie cutter, kind eight biscuits.
Prime the hen combination with the biscuits and brush the dough with the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Bake till browned and cooked by means of, about 25 minutes.